As the saying goes, home is where the heart is, which is why the hearts of so many seniors are set on remaining at home for a lifetime over moving to a nursing home or assisted living facility. And it stands to reason: the familiarity of home’s surroundings, the independence to go wherever, whenever you want, the ability to choose what meals you want to eat and when you want to eat them are all priceless expressions of freedom and self-reliance. However, safety for seniors at home can be a major concern.
Continuing to live at home may seem like the perfect plan for aging, but there are several questions to answer first:
- How can I be sure my loved one will be safe at home, especially if living alone?
- How will the senior get from place to place if driving is no longer an option?
- What will happen if the senior is sick or hurt, and no one is on hand to help?
Thankfully, it is easier now than ever for older adults to remain safe and well cared for while living at home. These tips can help ensure a senior is prepared for these needs and any future ones:
- Assess the inside and outside of the home, from the standpoint of the older person’s safety. Make sure that:
- There are grab bars installed near the toilet and tub.
- All throw rugs or other tripping hazards have been removed.
- There is plenty of lighting, especially in hallways and stairways.
- Often-used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency phone numbers are placed prominently in the home.
- Develop a plan for transportation, so that when driving is no longer an option, the older person still can get out whenever needed or desired:
- Research public transportation options where the senior lives.
- Compile a list of trusted people the person can contact for transportation needs: friends, neighbors, family members, religious organizations, local senior centers, and Happier Home Care.
- Make sure the senior has access to a PERS (personal emergency response system) or other tech tools to be able to call for help immediately if needed.
An effective way for older adults to continue living safely at home is by partnering with a professional home care agency, like Happier Home Care. As one of the leading home care agencies in Burbank and the surrounding areas, our services are customized to each person’s individual needs.
We will create a personalized care plan to address any particular challenges and needs being faced, and then modify the plan regularly to ensure the right level of care is always provided, now and as needs change over time. Contact our care experts at (818) 651-6679 to schedule a free in-home consultation today!