We all face a number of crucial crossroads in our lives, when the decisions we make will have long-lasting effects. The career we choose. Who we marry. Whether we want to have children. And as we grow older, another life-changing decision will need to be made: should we move into an assisted living facility in order to have the level of care needed during our later years? Or is home care an option to consider?
As with any important decision, the pros and cons should be carefully weighed. Happier Home Care is here to help older adults and those who love them to better understand the options available for aging, so the best decision can be made based on each individual’s unique situation.
If someone you love is in the beginning stages of exploring a move due to issues of aging, answering these questions is a good place to start:
- How important is price? Below are average costs for different senior living arrangements in our area:
- Semi-private nursing home room: $9,125/month
- Private nursing home room: $11,269/month
- Home care: $5,911/month (based on 44 hours/week)
- Is safety an issue? People with chronic health conditions, challenges with managing activities of daily living (like personal hygiene, meal preparation, medication reminders, etc.) or who struggle with cognitive difficulties (such as with Alzheimer’s disease) will require a higher level of assistance to stay safe.
- How about socialization? Isolated, lonely seniors are at risk for a variety of serious health concerns, such as depression.
- Is transportation a concern? When it becomes unsafe for someone to drive, alternate transportation solutions need to be determined.
- Is help needed around the house? Maintaining yard work, home repairs, and even everyday housekeeping may become a problem for many older adults.
If one or more of these questions raises a red flag, it might be a good time to think through safe living options. While in the decision-making process, we would love to talk with you about how Happier Home Care, the leading provider of home care in Sherman Oaks and the surrounding areas, can help. In many cases, these issues as well as others can be resolved through home care services – empowering older adults to continue to live at home, where they are most comfortable.
We start with a free in-home consultation to determine each person’s individual needs, and then work with families to create an individualized care plan to ensure those needs are met.
Before making a major decision such as selling a home and moving into a nursing home or assisted living facility, contact Happier Home Care, a trusted provider of home care in Sherman Oaks and nearby areas at (818) 651-6679 to see if home care might be a better solution for someone you love.