The way COVID-19 affected assisted living facilities and nursing homes was heartbreaking, as the virus spread like wildfire throughout our most vulnerable population who were living closely together. As a result, many families made the decision to bring their aging parents home, which raised a number of concerns.
Happier Home Care, one of the most trusted home care agencies in Glendale and the nearby areas, is here with the support and knowledge you’ll need to ensure a smooth transition home for a senior you love. Ahead of the move, answer these questions:
- Are there any unresolved problems with your aging parent that could impact your ability to offer the highest level of care?
- How will vacations be handled? Will the senior be able to travel with you, or is there a plan in place for respite care?
- Will there be enough room for the senior to have designated space for privacy?
- Do any home modifications need to be made, such as adding grab bars and railings, additional lighting, or wheelchair accessibility?
- If you work outside of the home, who will take care of the senior while you’re gone?
- How will the move affect other loved ones? For example, will one of your children have to give up their bedroom and share with a brother or sister?
- Could there be a problem associated with issues such as pets, smoking, or drinking, either on the part of your parent or somebody else in the house?
Next, it’s time to arrange a household meeting. You can include everyone living in the home, as well as your siblings or any other family members who want to be involved in the senior’s care. It’s important to offer everyone the chance to air any concerns openly and honestly. After all, moving aging parents into your home is a life-changing event for every member of the family.
When the family is all on one accord, discuss the idea with your aging parent. Decide whether the senior is currently thriving in the social atmosphere of living in a facility, and if they will miss the activities and friendships. Reassure the senior that all the family is thrilled with the concept of inviting them home to live, and address any concerns the senior raises.
Most importantly, know that you’re not alone in your new care responsibilities! Happier Home Care is always available to act as your trusted partner in care, offering just as much or as little professional home care assistance as needed.
Call us at 818-651-6679, or contact us online for a free in-home planning meeting to let us share more about how we can help with our elder care in Glendale and the nearby areas.