It’s not a facet of elderly personal care that is as commonly talked about as other hygiene tasks, but is important to keeping seniors healthy, nonetheless. Aging skin problems can cause a wide range of difficulties for seniors, including discomfort, bruising, dryness, itching, and more.
The home care specialists at Happier Home Care work hard to keep older adults safe and healthy from head to toe, and that includes healthy skin. We have laid out below some of the more prevalent skin problems in aging, and some guidelines to help.
According to Medscape, the majority of seniors over age 65 are bothered by dry, flaky, itchy skin, which is the result of a decrease in sweat and oil glands.
How to help:
- The older adult should take less frequent baths or showers, using warm (not hot) water, gently dry the skin, and apply moisturizer
- See if “dry bath” products work well for the older adult; these cleanse the skin and hair without water
- Try utilizing milder soaps and shampoos, such as those with Nizoral, for seniors who have special skin conditions, and always apply sunscreen before going outside
- Ensure the senior drinks plenty of fluids and uses a humidifier to rehydrate the skin
- Steer clear of:
- Too much time in the sun
Bruising is a common issue for seniors, resulting from thinner skin and a reduction of fat and connective tissue that can contribute to a weakening of the support surrounding blood vessels.
How to help:
- To minimize the inflammation and overall size of a bruise, place a cold compress over the bruise for approximately 20 minutes
- Try to elevate bruised areas as much as possible
- Encourage the senior to get plenty of vitamin C, which boosts collagen
- Help the senior quit smoking, as smoking diminishes collagen production
The caregiving team at Happier Home Care, the top provider of home care in Glendale and the surrounding areas, is experienced in assisting with aging skin care needs, and we’re here to offer in-home care and support to your senior loved one through bathing/moisturizing, watching for changes in the skin, preventing bed sores, and more. Contact us any time online, or call 818-651-6679 for more information.